Thursday, November 18, 2010

WHY THINGS ARE ABOUT TO HAPPEN

The Yanks will make their first offer to Derek Sanderson Jeter, any minute now.

Like I wrote in WHY JETER DESERVES A PAY DAY back in October, I believe the Yankees will be smart about this. I also said that Jeter would cooperate. I still believe that. Since I wrote this in October, I still believe that all the great things Jeter has done and will do demand some big money, even if for instance, the Yankees don't think he deserves it. It's owed. My wife tell's me it's about cutting loose the old guy and getting in new blood. I'm sorry, I can't picture Nunez as the future shortstop of the New York Yankees. I wrote WHY JETER IS AN ICON on November 3rd. In it, I broke down my suggested contract. But the most important part of the post was this part:

They won't offer him a a 3 year, $21 million deal... that would be insulting. More? Yes. How much? Well, numbers have been flying, but I will speculate a 5 year, $56 million deal with a 6th year option of $9 million. In that contract, I believe it would state that Jeter gets a bonus for certain milestones. Obviously, he's going to be breaking some. The most important part of that contract is this... Jeter will be told that Shortstop is probably not his position by his 5th year, it's a part time gig probably by year 4 and if the option is picked up in year 6, it may be a new kid's job.

People think I'm crazy. I don't. Today we learned that the Yankees will offer something around a 3 year $45 million range which will most likely climb to almost $60 million on a 3 or 4 year deal. I like that, and I think that is something that can be worked out.

You have to understand that the Yankees always claim to have a "cap" on what type of money they want to spend on free agents, but the reality is they can pay anything they want for any player they want. I mean look, they just raised ticket prices, and it's a free agent year with Lee and Jeter in the mix? Think about it.

By the way, Joel Sherman, whom I respect, but rarely disagree with wrote this headline on his piece from November 12th Sign him, but Yankees can't put Jeter ahead of winning. I don't agree with that. Jeter IS winning. He's won with the Yankees every year except 2008, and even in that last year of the old Yankee stadium, He was a winner standing on the top of the pitchers mound leading his team in a final salute. It doesn't jive.

Whatever happens, Jeter needs to be happy and the Yankees needs to be happy as well. In the end, don't believe everything you read, it will get done, and it will get done smoothly, at the end of the day, they need each other, if they didn't think way, Jeter could have been on another team before that 10 year contract was worked out years ago... think about that. Jeter in another uniform? Unlikely Yankee Fans, unlikely.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017