Tuesday, January 24, 2012

POSADA DID IT HIS WAY...AND BECAME A CHAMPION

It was difficult to see Jorge Posada at the mic but we all knew it was coming. Like Andy Pettitte before him, it's hard to believe, because we've seen these guys in so many great roles on the field, but it's crystal clear now, Jorge Posada's new role is dad and husband. We can applaud him for his hard work and dedication as a New York Yankee, but he's theirs now.


Here are just some of the  emotional quotes from Jorge at today's press conference:
"I want to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."

"“I played baseball for the New York Yankees, and that’s all I could think of or dream of as a little kid.”

"Playing for NYY has been an honor. I could never wear another uniform. It was just priceless. I will forever be a Yankee."

"Special thanks to Derek Jeter for helping me stay positive through this season. “Hopefully you won’t miss me that much.”

"Thank you to the fans..." (Jorge thanks the fans a couple times during the presser)
"I will forever be a Yankee!"


After Jorge spoke Diana Munson spoke about Jorge.  It was very emotional.  She said so many endearing things about Jorge and his family.  Here are just two quotes from Mrs. Munson that gave me chills:

Diana Munson: "I'm so honored to have loved two Yankee catchers in my life.''
Diana Munson: "I think he (Posada) and Thurman would’ve been best buds."

As Jorge walks into the sunset, remember that he did it his way. It may not have always been the best way, but it was the hardest and toughest he knew how. He had his truly great moments like his bloop double to tie the game against the Red Sox in 2003 and his not so good moments, like when he pulled himself out of the lineup and sat like a mope in the dugout, but at the end of the day, Jorge Posada was dedicated and cared a hell of a lot and it may not have always been the popular way... but it was his way and we loved him and understood it.

And then there were 2. Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter are left and soon enough it will only be Jeet. The memories of the Core Four will always be with us though, true Yankee Champions who worked hard together to give results every single time they played on the field. Posada was a big part of it, and people can say that Jorge was never a good catcher, he just had great moments. I say, you're nuts. He was a good catcher, a damn good catcher and the reason was simple; he did it for us, the fans. He knew we wanted wins and he tried his best to help guide his team every time. He cared. He may not have been the Captain, but he sure acted like it.So now that the press conference has ended, and new days comes... Spring Training without Jorge Posada will be interesting, that's for sure, but we move on like Jorge and keep rooting for our New York Yankees, because I tell you this, Jorge will be back when the time is right... this time, as a coach. You mark my words.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017