Monday, February 27, 2012

WHY PETTITTE RETURNED TO THE YANKEES

You read that title and you just crapped yourself. I apologize. Andy Pettitte is back but as an instructor with the Yankees during Spring training and today Bryan Hoch says the big lefty is ultra impressed with another big lefty, Manny Banuelos. I love when you hear about veteran guys that are blown away by 21 year old kids. Pettitte is and I dig it. Read Hoch’s story HERE and here are some quotes from Pettitte below:

"That's the first time I've seen him throw. He looks great, man...The ball just explodes coming out of his hand."

"He's just got a live arm, and from what I hear, he's got a chance to do some good things. I haven't even had a chance to meet him yet, but I'll try to introduce myself to him and talk to him. If I can do anything to help him, I would love to be able to do that, that's for sure."

I have always agreed with Cashman on this; I believe that we should never give up Banuelos. In fact, we should give him some time and see what he has on the major league level. There is no way of knowing when he’d be officially ready. I believe the Yankees can have him up in 2013 and by 2014 permanently, but let’s not forget that in 2011, Banuelos was called up in the fall, just so he could get a feel for being with the club on the pro level. He never threw a pitch and that was never the point…it was for the experience of being with the big boys, nothing else.

That being said, I suspect this year Manny Banuelos would get a shot just like Dellin Betances before him. There is no doubt Banuelos is special, but as Pettitte said in the Hoch piece “You never know what anybody’s going to do until they get to the big league level and they go out there and they are kind of battle-tested.” Look, Pettitte knows that better than anyone and I know the Yankees are probably anxious. They’re probably nervous too and don’t want to damage the kid. So, ultimately it’s a slow progression but there is no doubt in my mind Banuelos gets a taste this fall if he handles himself well in the minor leagues this year...maybe sooner.

It was good seeing and hearing from Andy Pettitte today, but there’s no doubt I’m wondering… is Jorge Posada gonna visit next? We shall see.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017