Monday, February 25, 2013

A JOHNNY DAMON REUNION?


Look, it's not a necessity that the Yankees do anything to replace Curtis Granderson. That's the honest truth. But for the sake of feeling nostalgic, why don't we bring in someone like Johnny Damon? We'll get alittle reunion going, we'll get a lefty bat replacement and from what he's said, read HERE, he'd be happy to comeback as a temporary replacement for Curtis Granderson. Then, when Grandy comes back, Johnny claims he'll pack his stuff up and go home. Here's what Johnny said: "You guys know that I would have tons of interest to go to New York... But I just don't think they would be interested. I'm not exactly sure what happened over the years or something. They have had plenty of opportunities and I kept raising my hand, wanting to go back and, you know, hopefully it would be a perfect fit. It always had been. Have me for six weeks and then send me off on my merry way. That's fine."

Is it a stupid idea?  No, especially if he'll do it at base pay and only be temporary. But in truth, the reality is, we don't really need him. Again, we have Juan Rivera. We have Matt Diaz and life will be fine.  But for all you who want to see Damon back filling in in left with a lousy throwing arm and maybe 10 home runs in his bat, sure, I'm all for it.

Do I sound mean? I'm only rattling off reasons that the Yankees probably DON'T want Damon back.  My feeling is though, if we can get him cheap, try the guy out at that low, low salary, I'd say it's worth it... just for the hell of it. For the record though, Johnny went 46 for 207 with 4 home runs for the Indians last season. Maybe that's the Yankees' reason for not "jumping" on Damon as he says. It's not cruel, it's the reality of age in baseball.

Stay tuned... anything can happen in Yankeeland. 

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017