Friday, March 29, 2013

YANKEES NEED TO GET ON THE ROBINSON CANO TRAIN

The Yankees need to resign Robinson Cano! Wait, wait... I'm getting ahead of myself.


If you are a frequent reader of BYB, you know I am a huge fan of the World Baseball Classic. This year, I followed the WBC closely with a special interest in the Dominican Republic. I wanted to see how well Tony Pena managed such a talented team, but more than that, I wanted to see how well Cano played.

To say that Cano did phenomenally would be a gross understatement. At one point, he was hitting near .600. I believe the euphemism that best describes his performance would be "beast mode."



Now, back to my original point. The Yankees need to resign Cano. Now possibly. Okay, I'm a little more realistic than that but, as soon as possible if not sooner.

I've written about Cano, Boras, the Yankees and his contract before. I have always said that the Yankees should wait until the end of the season to handle this, but I've changed my mind. My argument has always been that they should let Cano play so they can pay him his true worth. If this WBC doesn't show what he is capable of, than I don't know what else will.


Cano managed a .469 BA during the tournament. If David Wright was Captain America, Cano was The Human Torch, because he was on fire. Okay, I'm a bit of a geek, sorry. But it is true nonetheless. It was near impossible to turn on MLB Network without hearing about Cano's incredible performance. Not only was his hitting amazing, he displayed his leadership skills impeccably. In the end, it earned him the WBC MVP and helped bring the Championship to the Dominican Republic.

Cano proved that he is a serious threat in the batters box. He has the most fluid, natural swing in baseball and also one of the deadliest. Pitchers would rather walk him and take their chances on whoever hits after him, than pitch to him. And now we know he has the ability to be a leader in the clubhouse.


After the WBC, there is no doubt in my mind that Cano will have no problem making his payday. If it will be with the Yankees, they will have to loosen their purse strings a little and possibly be willing to let go of the budget restraint. Of course, Cano and Boras may have to be willing to negotiate a more reasonable contract as well. The thing is, if the Yankees don't resign him, another team will. Possibly the Dodgers since they are the new big spenders.

Look, I am a huge fan of Cano's. I write about him frequently. I want him in pinstripes. More than that, I don't want to have to play against him. His bat is a threat and frankly, I'd rather have that kind of power on our side, not against us. With this being his contract year, other teams have taken notice and interest has been piqued. The Robinson Cano train is moving right along, and the Yankees need to punch their tickets for this ride.



--Erica Morales, BYB Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804


Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017