Wednesday, May 29, 2013

MAYBE "CLOSER" PLANS ARE IN NOVA'S FUTURE

Pete Caldera of the Bergen Record had a good piece titled Yankees' Ivan Nova waits to earn his way back into the rotation. In it, he maps out what Ivan Nova , and many believe will eventually happen with him.  Eventually, people believe, be it by injury or a struggling pitcher, Nova will eventually get back to the starting rotation.  As Caldera says, Nova believes he can, saying, "I know that I’m going to get my chance, and I know what I can do when I get the ball." 

Caldera went on to say: "Last Saturday at Tampa Bay, the right-hander was summoned from the bullpen – his first relief appearance in two years – and earned a victory that also provided a needed lift to his psyche. 'That elevates your confidence a little bit,' Nova said of escaping a self-induced one-out jam in the Yankees’ 4-3 win.

With the bases loaded, Nova struck out James Loney on a hard curveball and retired pinch-hitter Matt Joyce on a grounder. Asked if he’d learned anything about himself that day, Nova said, 'Yeah... Don’t wait to get in trouble [before getting into your rhythm].'"


And this is where it gets interesting.  Read that again: "Don’t wait to get in trouble."  Now think about Mariano Rivera and how he handles he day in-day out routine.  Go in. Pitch hard, Save, go home... and don't wait to get in trouble.  We had written a piece a while back suggesting perhaps Nova's future is the pen.  Perhaps Nova's future with the Yankees is to become the next great Yankees closer.  Sure, it sounds ridiculous now, Nova has been a disaster this season, but what if? What if the Yankees somehow develop this guy into pitching that 1 or 2 innings when it really matters, when the game is on the line in the 9th?

Read "I'M NOT A SMART MAN, BUT I KNOW WHAT LOVE IS" from back in March. It was then that BYB wrote: "Clearly the kid has what it takes to be lights out.  He also has a little bit of swagger about him.  His critics say his cockiness will be his downfall.  I say that his ability combined with his attitude might just make him Closer material. Didn't think you read that right? No? Then let me write it again. I think Ivan Nova can be Closer material.  Remember Mo used to be a starter too. If Pettitte and Rivera can get Nova’s head right, we might have found the heir apparent. Call me silly, call me nuts... but you have to admit, you may even want to call me brilliant."

Now sure, we're not saying this has to happen, but in a world of a struggling Ivan Nova, ideas should be thrown out there.  This is a pretty decent idea... especially with Mariano wrapping it up after this year.  We could mold Nova now and maybe he's got a future someday. You have to admit... at this point, if this plan doesn't work for this kid... I'm not sure what will.

 Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017