Wednesday, July 31, 2013

HUGHES & JOBA ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT AS AROD


I'd like to warn all of you that what I am about to write is a bit controversial. Usually, I like to stay impartial, and non-bias. But this has been bothering me for the past few days and, I need to get it out. I'm talking about fans who will go to great lengths, even ignoring the fact that Alex Rodriguez  may or may not have used steroids, to protect him, but are the first to pack the bags of Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain. Hear me out for a moment...

Understand that I am a parent of three young children, who adore baseball as much as I do. And whether I approve or not, some times professional athletes become their role models. Of course, I play a more important role in their lives in that respect, but to pretend that there isn't any hero envy when it comes to sports athletes, or celebrities in general is, in my opinion, completely closed minded, and absolutely unrealistic. It happens, and so I make it a point, as a parent, to censor, and educate my children as much as possible on who is, and who isn't a good role model.

With that said, I'd like to remind everyone of the difference between ARod and Hughes and Joba. The difference between them is huge. ARod is an admitted steroid user, and is currently facing a lifetime ban because he may have repeated that usage.  Hughes and Joba are two players that are struggling greatly. In a year from now, ARod's career accomplishments will still have an asterisk next to them. Hughes and Joba however, may have turned their trouble around, even if that isn't with the Yankees.


I won't bash ARod. I understand that people make mistakes and they deserve a fair chance to redeem themselves. But at this point, I view it more as "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I supported ARod from the very beginning of his career. Even before he became a Yankee. I got a lot of heat back then for saying that he was perhaps a better shortstop then our own Derek Jeter. Yea, I was a huge ARod fan. I never believed for one moment that he needed any sort of steroids to play. To me, the fact that he did use them is a shame, and a complete waste of a career. He could have been one of the greatest, without his career forever being tainted.

Don't get me wrong, if he does manage to beat the life time ban, and returns to the Yankees at some point, I will root for him. But that has nothing to do with him, and everything to do with the success of the Yankees. A productive player is an asset to the team. But I can't wave my ARod flag anymore.


I understand that we, as Yankees fans, are frustrated with Hughes, and Joba. Hell, even I admit to often breaking into fits of rage, and excessive usage of expletives, where they are concerned. Their inconsistency is enough to drive me crazy. But I am also aware that they can still have a successful career. I have written before that they would do very well in a national league park. If they get traded, or sign elsewhere at the end of this season, they may make a complete turn around. Right now, I know it is difficult to see that, but it is a possibility.

Maybe I am looking at this differently than other fans, I don't know. But what I do know is that I have a young son who wants to play baseball. He follows players and studies their batting stance, and aspires to wear Yankee pinstripes when he gets older. I also know that I am trying to teach him to be a man of integrity, and honor. "Lead by example." Always represent yourself in a manner that others will be proud to know you, and that you can be proud of. Those are extremely important lessons that I have been drilling into my children since they were born. How can I support ARod when I know he has used steroids? Steroids is cheating. Period. How can I ignore that fact, and still expect my children to become honest, hardworking individuals? I expect them to lead by example, and so I must set an example as well. And yes, I know what his career stats are. I am aware of what he did in 2009 for the Yankees, and I am grateful. But none of that changes the fact that he used drugs.


I don't understand how people can overlook steroid usage, but shout from the mountains about two struggling pitchers. I don't understand the thought process behind it. I won't chastise Hughes and Joba, and praise ARod. I just won't. But at the end of the day, he cheated and that just sets a terrible example. As far as Hughes and Joba are concerned? They hit a rough patch as pitchers, but they are doing it on their own and trust their abilities. They're struggling right now, that's it.

I honestly wish ARod well, regardless of what the outcome is. I hope this is a lesson to him. He is, after all, a father as well. I hope he can take this negative, and turn it around. Not for Yankees fans, baseball fans, or even ARod fans. But for himself, as a man, and for his two beautiful daughters. I hope that one day, he can become a positive example. Someone who can go "Yes, I messed up. But, I changed, and made my life better."  A real Hallmark lesson.



--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017