Monday, March 31, 2014

WHICH OPENING DAY ARE YOU EXCITED FOR?


For as long as I could remember, there was nothing more incredible for me than Opening Day.  Now, truth be told, for many, many years I watched Opening day at home, be it the Yankees opening in another park somewhere around the country, or them home at Yankee Stadium.  Baseball season is an amazing time. 

For me personally though, it doesn’t really truly feel like Opening Day until the Yankees play in the Bronx.  This year, especially has been a strange Opening Day, because if you live in New York, the New York Mets have Opening today on the "first official day of baseball".  To that, I say... so? I mean, sure I’ll watch, because it's baseball... but I want my Yankees! 


It is true, I’ll see what Curtis Granderson does today because I liked him in pinstripes and I want to see him continue to be successful.  But let’s face it, wasn’t Opening Day technically last week in Australia?  And for the Yankees, we open tomorrow… in Houston.  Not exactly the way I thought we’d celebrate the start of the Yankees 2014 season, 1 day later.  In other words… today is odd.

Now don’t get me wrong, I celebrated the fact that baseball is finally back, especially after a brutal winter in the Northeast. But I’m not gonna force it, because it almost seems un-American to me that on Opening Day, America’s pastime, the Yankees aren’t playing.  Why? Why would the baseball Gods, or better yet, Major League Baseball, think that that’s OK, or even make any sense?

(In Photo: MLB Baseball in Australia)
Look, whatever I think, I know that’s insignificant in your life, but it’s my opinion that Major League Baseball has watered down what used to be a historic day.  Meanwhile they’re talking out of both sides of their mouth, pushing to make Opening Day a National Holiday.  How is that possible if we’re opening up in Australia, maybe Japan, or even Canada one day?  It’s America’s Pasttime… you know what I mean?

I don’t mean to rain on baseball's parade.  I watched today and will watch so some tonight, but this day, March 31st, MLB’s Opening Day just doesn't feel like it.  It feels disjointed and weird.

 

I guess I just need to gear up for tomorrow’s opener in Houston featuring the Yankees and the Astros, and I'll be counting down to our REAL Opening day…April 7, 2014...


Back home in the Bronx! 
 
GO YANKS!

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017